Monday 6 October 2014

Blog 3. More everyday foods than you think are fermented.





After learning a good lesson last week which is not to leave anything behind and keeping on track, I am now more organize and confident with each week's tasks. This week's lecture is all about the things to consider when scaling up a bio-processed product, the constraints and basic unit of bio-processing and also sample scenarios were given where suggestions were made which I all find beneficial most especially for starting a small scale for our product. Having to know all the things to consider is definitely a great help in the making of our proposed product. For me, the most significant part of the lecture is the Fermentation. It engrossed me more due to the fact that we use it every day. However, when asked to list fermented products, it seemed like everybody has the same idea and I felt like there must be more. Therefore, I decided to consult our dearest friend Mr. Google. I found out that most fermented products are in Asia like the "puto", made of semi-glutinous rice fermented in earthen jars, which is Philippine's famous delicacy. I also found out the benefits of fermented products which tend to break down pesticides store in fats.


dengue-fever-signs-precaution
As for the second memo from Bioplus, as a group, we came up with a lot of ideas for the next big product. But, we focused on the product that is much needed. We all decided to make a vaccine and then we asked ourselves, "Vaccine for what?". We searched for infectious diseases that have no vaccine yet. In the end, we all agreed to make a vaccine for dengue which can treat all the four strains DENV-1, DENV-2, DENV-3 and DENV-4. However, that is a big challenge for us which we will work on. The presentation of products of different groups just like The Dragons' Den was also a challenge. I was very impressed of all the ideas each group came up with. Also, I am more than proud of my group. It feels like we are already in a real industry proposing a product which is about to make a difference in the world. The challenges we're facing on our product is really making us come out of our own shell and be creative yet scientific thinkers. 

The benefit of the module is now all coming together. I am slowly seeing a light and it only encourages me more to take the path to Bio-pharmaceutical Industry. At first, I hate reading but this module encouraged me how important it is to be updated and to enhance my knowledge. I am now fund of reading articles that are beneficial for our proposed product. I am currently reading articles to find out candidate cells for our product. 

For the coming week, the only thing in my mind is KEEP ON TRACK and ENJOY. It's time to read more articles and do the Critical Review.

No comments:

Post a Comment